View Full Version : How do i make my images transparent using MS Paint?

PinkIce
06-30-2003, 10:37 PM
How do i make my images transparent using MS Paint? All me images have icky white boxes around them and i want to save them with a transparent backround unfortunatly, all i have to work with is MS PAINT so please, help me out here!!!

Jiggawot
06-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Go to image > attributes and set transparency to the color you want.

croftmania
07-02-2003, 01:17 PM
Huh? I thought you couldn't. It's true that you learn something everyday ;)

Alcy
07-02-2003, 08:15 PM
There's a few versions of paint that don't let you make things transparent.

Makar
07-03-2003, 01:01 AM
On my Paint program they have the transparency option, but it's faded out. :(

Dude128
07-03-2003, 03:28 AM
are you working with a .gif file, or a .bmp or .jpg?

I believe of the 3 formats, .gif is the only one that supports transparency. so if you aren't doing so already, try saving it as a .gif file.

Superstar
07-05-2003, 09:03 PM
it wont let u save as a .gif or .jpg only .bmp. i think u can save it as .gif or .jpg if u have paint on the new windows version but the 98 one doesn't let u make it transparent coz its faded out??? :-(

elfenheroin
07-06-2003, 07:46 AM
I have XP is it suppose to work in XP cuz it's not :(

Shaneo
07-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Makar
On my Paint program they have the transparency option, but it's faded out. :( Mine also.. On some of the computers at school u can save .gif files in paint and they're running 98 but here at home where i am also running 98 i can only save as .bmp.. Maybe it has something to do with some file u need in C:\Windows or something? Who knows :confused:

Superstar
07-06-2003, 05:37 PM
i wish i'd know coz i can ONLY save my files in ms paint as .bmp so to able to have it as .gif i open it and save it again as .gif in ultimate paint.

Dude128
07-06-2003, 06:24 PM
I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of different versions of Paint out there. some copies of 98 have the one that can save as .gif and .jpg, others don't. just out of curiosity, do you have first or second edition? and did you buy it in a store, or is it an OEM version (if it came with your computer)? I have 98SE OEM, and I can save as .gif and .jpg

Alcy
07-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Silly microsoft trying to confuse everyone :stickout:

Painter (http://www.jansfreeware.com/jfgraphics.htm#painter) will let you make transparent GIFs....

Shaneo
07-07-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Dude128
I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of different versions of Paint out there. some copies of 98 have the one that can save as .gif and .jpg, others don't. just out of curiosity, do you have first or second edition? and did you buy it in a store, or is it an OEM version (if it came with your computer)? I have 98SE OEM, and I can save as .gif and .jpg 98 SE OEM also but i can only save in .bmp format :mad:

Shaneo
07-07-2003, 05:04 AM
Look what i found..

How Save .GIF & .JPG in Paint (http://www2.cs.uregina.ca/~cs100/how_to_do/paint.html)

MaGiCSuN
07-07-2003, 10:41 AM
you have MSpaint and Paint. Paint is the one that is on msot newer versions like 98 and above. But some of them don't let you save in .gif either. MSpaint doesn't let you save in .gif at all if i'm right. I had MSpaint before, it didnt let me, then i had Paint that did let me but now i have changed windows again due reformatting etc and it doesn't work again. I use PSP anywayz :)

iGeek
03-05-2005, 04:30 PM
I have 98SE that I installed after I built the computer, and I can save in .gif format.
On my "Save as Type" drop-down list I have:

Monochrome Bitmap [*.bmp, *.dib]
16 Color Bitmap [*.bmp, *.dib]
256 Color Bitmap [*.bmp, *.dib]
24- Bit Bitmap [*.bmp, *.dib]
Graphics Interchange Format [*.gif]

Try this:

File/Save As/on the pull down list that says "Save as Type" select "Graphics Interchange Format [*.gif]" save it. Then Ctrl+E. That'll open the image attributes. Check the Transparent image checkbox, click color, selcet white (or whatever color you want transparent), OK, File/Save. There you go. Like people said, some version of paint don't let you use transparent images.

starlet
03-05-2005, 04:47 PM
This thread is from 2003!!