This has to be the most awesome, easy to install, easy to configure guestbook script I have ever run across. It's called the Active Guestbook (used here with the author's permission). I use it myself, you can see the script in action here. If you're using it on a commercial site it is not free and you'll have to go to the Active Guestbook Web site in order to obtain a license to use it.
This script works on Perl 5, Unix and NT software. You have to have a cgi-bin or be able to run cgi-scripts in order to install this guestbook on your server. Your host can tell you if you have these things.
Here are the directions for installation:
Download the guestbook script:
Unzip the file, find guestbook.cgi
1. Open guestbook.cgi in a plain text editor like notepad. Find out your path to perl from your Web host, and change the first line to reflect that. The default setting, #!/usr/bin/perl, usually works for most servers. If not, you can try #!/usr/local/bin/perl. Save your changes.
2. Create a new directory in your cgi-bin (or whatever folder you're allowed to run cgi-scripts in) called "guestbook." Chmod the permissions to 777, or if that doesn't work try 750 or 755 (you can find a chmod tutorial here
3. Upload "guestbook.cgi" into the new directory you have just created. Make sure you use the ASCII mode or it will not work. Chmod the permissions to 755.
4. You can run the setup program by accessing the script from your browser.
For example, if your cgi-bin is at http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/, then you should type
into your browser, press Enter and follow the instructions.
5. Once you reach the Control Panel you can find a link that offers extensive help if you need it. You can reach the Control Panel here:
6. After you've installed the guestbook, you can access it using this URL:
If you're having problems, take a look at the read me file included with the guestbook script. There are extensive instructions in the read me file.
Copyright ©1997-2011 Lissa, All rights reserved